Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Tribute to Mel Blanc



I've been asked many times what my favorite epitaph or gravestone is. And while I do really like "I told you I was sick," I cannot say that it's my favorite. My favorite epitaphs is carved on a grave I have never seen in person. Mel Blanc's in Hollywood forever. I know no more fitting an epitaph than his:

"That's All Folks"
Mel Blanc
Man of 1000 Voices
Beloved Husband and Father
1908-1989


Today's tribute to Mel Blanc is not just because of his grave marker. It's because of the man. After my daughter and I came home this morning from picking up doughnuts, we found that my husband had put in a documentary about Mr. Blanc. I believe it's from the Looney Tunes Golden Collection. I didn't realize that he did so many Hanna Barbera voices as well. He was the voice of Captain Caveman! My favorite! I love how Captain Caveman would just randomly pull things out of all the hair covering his body. Anything from a club to a piano or something.

Garry Owen (announcer and voice of Space Ghost) called him "the top voice in the history of animation." I completely agree.

Mr. Blanc, you are dearly missed.




1 comment:

Dorene from Ohio said...

Lovely post! He brought joy to so many!