Thursday, July 8, 2010

So what's next?

In March 2010, my latest book came out, "Images of America: Chippiannock Cemetery." We had a wonderful book launch party at the Hauberg Civic Center in Rock Island, Illinois. The Center was originally John and Suzanne Hauberg's mansion. The Haubergs were major philanthropists in the area and are featured in the book.

Since then, I did a book signing tour of the Quad Cities. Borders, Barnes & Noble, the Village of East Davenport, Sam's Club ... I was a veritable Stephen King! Of cemetery books. LOL Maybe my books haven't sold millions (yet!), but I'm pretty happy.

The response I've received from people has been great. So many people who grew up around the cemetery bought the book and told me how much they learned about the monuments they used to play around as kids.

What means the most to me about writing is being able to share what I've learned with other people. It's actually an honor.

So what's next? What cemetery will I write about? What tales will I tell? Who or what will they be about?

In the works is a book about Oakdale Memorial Gardens in Davenport, Iowa. I'm also talking with some fellow taphophile friends about a book of cemetery photography by The Ladies of Cemetery Photography. I'd love to write a book about my favorite cemetery in New Orleans.

And don't forget that I'm working on getting the next issue of Epitaphs Magazine out. Yes, I'm starting to sound like a broken record about that! We've had a number of health issues, etc., in the family, and family comes first. So I am far from shouting about a deadline for it. But I will keep you posted. It's going to have some good stuff in it.

I can say that it felt really good a couple of weekends ago to get out in the cemetery and take photos. It had been a while.

As far as this weekend, I won't be hitting the cemetery. What I will be doing this weekend is performing the wedding ceremony for my cousin and his fiance. That's an honor for me, too.

Peace to all of you,

Minda

 

www.TheCemeteryClub.com

No comments: